I’m finally back with my full summer 2019 capsule wardrobe! It’s been a busy month, but I finally got to putting it all together. It’s definitely summer weather here now, so it’s just in time!
To be honest, I’ve been struggling with my capsule wardrobe a little bit lately. I feel like my closet has grown, and I’m finding it hard to keep it to a minimum. I’ve been working with a lot of amazing brands especially recently, which I feel so lucky to be able to do! But at the same time, I feel like I’ve been inundated with ‘stuff’, and even though I love it, it feels too close to old habits. At the end of the day, I am doing this to live more simply and consume less, so moving forward I need to find a better balance.
To that end, there are two events in the slow fashion community coming up over summer which I will be participating in. The first is No Buy July (#nobuyjuly on Instagram) where I buy nothing but necessities for the month of July. The second is Slow Fashion Season (@slowfashionseason on Instagram) which starts today and runs for three months until Sept 21. The idea is to not purchase any new clothing or accessories, but instead turn to slower alternatives like secondhand shopping or making things yourself. So aside from a few collaborations that I have already planned for the next couple of weeks, I’m not going to be bringing in anything new to my home for three months. I’d love if you joined in either or both of these challenges along with me – let me know in the comments if you’re participating!
My Summer 2019 Capsule Wardrobe
My summer capsule this year has changed quite a bit compared to last year. In 2018 I went for a very minimalist vibe, with a neutral colour palette and lots of contrasting black and white. While I still included a lot of the same items, this year I feel like my capsule is a lot softer and more ‘me’. I went for a lot of linen and woven textures, and I added a few summery pops of gold and blush to brighten things up.
This time around I also created a Pinterest mood board specific to my summer capsule. It includes colours, textures, and outfits as well as just general inspiration that speaks to what I’m really going for. I normally have a general style board for all seasons, but I think having a specific source of inspiration for each capsule will help me stay focused and prioritize items moving forward.
Item List by Category (in order from top to bottom, left to right):
- Basic tees – old Aritzia (similar here)
- Yellow tee – thrifted
- Blush tee – Everlane*
- Black linen tee – Everlane*
- Linen tank – self-made (free pattern here)
- Tie-front blouse – old Aritzia
- Yellow blouse – thrifted (originally by Zara)
- Wrap blouse – Skye*
- White button up – Tradlands*
- Denim button up – thrifted (originally by Gap)
- Striped top – old Everlane (similar here)
- Black linen button-up – Everlane*
- Light denim – AGOLDE (or similar here)
- Black trousers – old Aritzia (similar here)
- Wide leg pants (black) – Everlane*
- Wide leg pants (stone) – Everlane*
- Dress pants – Skye*
- Denim shorts – Frank & Oak* (similar here)
- Linen shorts – old Aritzia
- Black dress – old Aritzia (similar here)
- White dress – thrifted (originally by Gap)
- Tee dress – Solika
- Shirt dress – thrifted (originally by Patagonia, similar here)
- Jumpsuit – old Aritzia (similar here)
- Black trench – old American Vintage
- Denim jacket – old Zara (similar here)
- Swimsuit – Galamaar*
- Scarf – Cleobella* (from Spring Causebox)
- Hat – old Aritzia
- Side bag – O MY BAG*
- Woven circle bag – Samara
- Tote – Everlane*
- Sunglasses – Ray-Ban
- Belt – old Aritzia
- Sneakers – Veja
- Sandals – old Joe Fresh
- Mules – Nisolo
- Huaraches – Nisolo*
- Espadrilles – Angarde*
- Heels – old Aldo (similar here)
*Denotes items that were gifted to me by a brand.
Because I’m doing No Buy July and Slow Fashion Season, I won’t be purchasing any new clothing for the next 3 months. But if I were going to add a few new items for summer, here’s what would be on my wish list.
- Square linen jacket – love the hemp utility jacket by Back Beat Rags; this was on my spring wish list as well
- Canvas pants – similar to these ones by Elizabeth Suzann or Everlane; these have been on my list for some time
- Top & skirt set – I fell in love with this pin I found (I think it is from an old Vetta Capsule collection); I think this would be a lovely, versatile set
- Linen pyjamas – I’m totally digging these loose, flowy ones by Deiji Studios for hot summer nights
Instead of buying these, I may try to sew some of them myself! I’m really getting back into sewing and would love if more of my wardrobe was self-made.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Make sure to follow me on Instagram to see all of my daily looks over the next three months. Also, I’m planning on putting together a summer lookbook on my YouTube channel, so if that interests you, you can subscribe to me there! Finally, to follow along with all of my style inspiration, you can follow me over on Pinterest. And don’t forget to let me know if you’re joining in for No Buy July and/or Slow Fashion Season in the comments below.
Thanks for reading!
Note: This article contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission from purchases through these links. Please see my disclaimer for more information. Thanks for your support!